The 2012 Farm Bill is still working its way through the legislature in Washington DC. It includes an amendment called the Monsanto Protection Act. The amendment prevents agribusiness giants like Monsanto from being held accountable for any health problems that may arise through genetically modified (GMO) or genetically engineered (GE) seeds.
Let me tell you why Monsanto might be thinking it needs protection. Monsanto manufactures Roundup® and GMO/GE Roundup Ready® seeds. These include alfalfa, canola, corn, cotton for cottonseed oil, soybeans, and sugarbeets. Between 88 and 94 % of these crops are GMO/GE. These seeds grow into plants and are sprayed with Roundup® to control weeds.
Farmers were told that if they used Monsanto’s genetically modified seeds, they would need to spray less of the herbicide/Roundup.® False. It hasn’t worked out that way. To keep weeds down, they are actually having to spray more. A lot more. These days, every bite of a Roundup Ready® plant, plant oil, animal feed, or human food contains increasing amounts of glyphosate, the active ingredient in Roundup®.
What’s the problem with glyphosate? Scientific evidence is growing that glyphosate has a toxic effect on the testicles, reducing both sperm production and testosterone levels. Below I have freely quoted from an article on line at www.greenmedinfo.com by Sayer Ji. I have inserted my comments:
- A disturbing new study published in the journal Free Radical Medicine & Biology implicates the herbicide Roundup®, and its main ingredient glyphosate, in male infertility, at concentration ranges well within the EPA's "safe level" for food. Unfortunately, the EPA’s “safe level” allows Roundup® herbicide residues in your food at concentrations that are a million times higher than amounts already shown to be carcinogenic (That’s a topic for another day__ERV.)
- Performed by Brazilian researchers, the study found acute Roundup® exposure at low doses (36ppm, 0.036g/L) for 30 minutes induced cell death in Sertoli cells in prepubertal (young__ERV) rat testis. Sertoli cells are known as "mother" or "nurse" cells within the testicles. They are responsible for maintaining the health of sperm cells, and are required for normal male sexual development. (If all Sertoli cells die, no further sperm can be made.__ERV)
- Roundup herbicide exposure was found to induce oxidative stress (producing an excess of free radicles__ERV) and to activate multiple-stress response pathways within affected cells, and was associated with an increase in intracellular calcium (Ca2+) concentration leading to Ca2+ overload, and cell death.
- Thirty-minute incubation tests with glyphosate alone (36 ppm) also increased Ca2+ uptake. Both Roundup® and glyphosate were observed to down regulate reduced glutathione levels. Glutathione is an antioxidant (electron donor) found within every cell in the human body. It’s important to protect it against oxidative stress. It also maintains a wide range of biochemical reactions such as DNA and protein synthesis and repair, amino acid transport, prostaglandin synthesis, amino acid and enzyme activation, (and elimination of mercury__ERV). A dysregulation of glutathione can result in a wide range of adverse effects.
- The researchers noted "Glyphosate has been described as an endocrine disruptor affecting the male reproductive system; however, the molecular basis of its toxicity remains to be clarified. We could propose that Roundup® toxicity, implicating in Ca2+ overload, cell signaling misregulation, stress response of the endoplasmic reticulum and/or depleted antioxidant defenses could contribute to Sertoli cell disruption of spermatogenesis that could impact male fertility." (Glyphosate reduces the effective glutathione supply resulting in damage to cellular communication, cellular factories and integrity of the cell wall.__ERV)
- A Nov 26, 2011 male rat study published in the Archives of Toxicology on line revealed maternal exposure to glyphosate disturbed the masculinization process and promoted behavioral changes and histological and endocrine problems in reproductive parameters. (Testicles affected before birth of male baby rats causing permanent changes__ERV).
- A 2010 male rat study published in the Archives of Toxicology revealed prepubertal exposure to commercial formulation of the herbicide glyphosate alters testosterone levels and testicular morphology, leading researchers to describe the herbicide as "a potent endocrine disruptor.” (Young rats affected.__ERV)
- A 2011 study published in the journal Toxicology In Vitro found a glyphosate-based herbicide induced necrosis and apoptosis (death) in (mature) rat testicular cells in vitro, and testosterone decrease at lower levels. In the study, Roundup® and glyphosate at concentrations as low as 1 part per million produced a testosterone decrease in sperm cells by 35%. (Older rats affected__ERV.)
- A more recent 2013 study in male rats published in the journal Ecotoxicology and Reproductive Safety found glyphosate (in combination with another pesticide) provoked severe oxidative stress in male testes, resulting in inhibited testosterone production and disrupted gonadotropin levels. (Older rats again__ERV.)
- A 2007 study published in the journal Reproductive Toxicology found that Roundup® herbicide altered the structure of the testis and epididymal region (part of the tubular spermatic duct system), as well as the serum levels of testosterone and estradiol, in male ducks, leading the researchers to conclude that Roundup® "...may cause disorder in the morphophysiology of the male genital system of animals." (Frog and rabbit testicles have also been damaged by glyphosate.__ERV)
- (What does all this mean? __ERV) Given the growing body of research clearly revealing Roundup's® toxicity to the germ line of animal species, the argument can be made that this herbicide has contraceptive properties and therefore genocidal consequences. By directly affecting the biologically immortal cells within the testes, whose DNA contains over 3 billion years’ worth of information essential for the continuation of our species as a whole, Roundup® should be considered an instrument of mass destruction.
the very least, the precautionary principle should be applied. (The precautionary principle states that if an action or policy has a suspected
risk of causing harm to the public or to the environment, in the absence of scientific
consensus that the action or policy is harmful ,then the burden of proof that
it is not harmful falls on
those taking an action. Meaning Monsanto. The European Union made the
application of the precautionary principle a statutory requirement years ago__ERV.) Any
chemical (including glyphosate) that signals
thepotential to disrupt or destroy our species' germ line cells should be banned unless the manufacturer can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that it is safe to exposed populations.
Is glyphosate contributing to the progressive lowering of male fertility and testosterone levels that has been going on for years? 10-15 years ago, there were forecasts that within 75 years men will be sterile
If you have enough information and want to take action to protect your testicles, and the rest of your body and humanity, do these things:
- Get educated. There is a lot of information available on the web. There is wisdom at the following sites:
- www.drvaughan.com search for glyphosate
- http://www.greenmedinfo.com has excellent information about natural treatments and environmental toxins.
- http://www.foodrevolution.org/blog/non-gmo-apps/ has descriptions of 10 food apps for avoiding GMO/GE foods or others that you are sensitive to.
- The Institute for Responsible Technology provides excellent resources. Jeffrey M. Smith who wrote the book “Seeds of Deception” and recently released the movie, Genetic Roulette, maintains this site. You’ll find guides for feeding families and infants, and for eating out. Recommendations from this site
- Tip #1: Buy Organic: Organic producers cannot intentionally use GMOs or GEs.
- Tip #2: Look for "Non-GMO" Project Verified Seals.
- Tip #3: Avoid At-Risk Ingredients: If it's not labeled organic, or doesn't have a Non-GMO Project Verified Seal, then avoid processed food products with ingredients made from these GMO crops: Corn, Soybeans, Canola, Cottonseed and Beet sugar.
- Canola or rapeseed oil and cottonseed oil are widely used in processed foods.
- Sugar Avoid anything not listed as 100% cane sugar since GMO beet sugar recently entered the food supply. To avoid it, look for organic and non-GMO sweeteners, candy and chocolate made with 100% cane sugar, evaporated cane juice or organic sugar.
- Aspartame Avoid this artificial sweetener also known as NutraSweet and Equal. It’s derived from GM/GE microorganisms.
- Also if you have an infant or are expecting, you should be aware that infants and children are more sensitive to the dangers of genetically modified foods. Unfortunately infant formula contains genetically modified food. Independent laboratory tests show significant amounts of GE soy in Similac Soy, Enfamil Pro Soybee, Wal-Mart soy, and Gerber Good Start Soy. All the formulas distributed by the government's WIC program contain GMO/GE food brands. If you cannot breast-feed, choose only organic formulas.
- Vote for healthier food with your pocketbook. Don’t buy GMO/GE food if you have any other choice.
- Tell farmers at the market, grocers, and restaurant owners that you want non-GMO/GE food. Period. Go to www.nogmogso.com for information on how to take action locally.
- Get involved in the campaign to eliminate GMO/GE foods from the food chain to protect our futures. Contact your Senators and representatives and tell them to reject the Monsanto Protection Act and vote FOR the Genetically Engineered Food Right-to-Know Act. This is a big first step. This will allow us to easily choose whether we eat or do not eat GMO food. Unfortunately, eating organic isn’t enough. In one study, glyphosate was found in 60-100% of all US air and rain samples tested, and another 2012 study found that glyphosate widely contaminates groundwater.
- Do not use Roundup® or plant GMO seeds.
- Lastly, protect your body and your children’s bodies:
- Take probiotics to outnumber the germs in the gut that have been infected with the Roundup Ready® DNA.
- Take a mineral supplement to replenish the minerals that are bound up by Roundup®.
- Take alpha lipoic acid and Vitamin E to protect your testicles (and other cells) from the damaging effects of glyphosate.
- Use infrared sauna to sweat out accumulated pesticides and herbicides.
- Do a cleanse at least twice a year.
- Be brave. You will hear people disparage the movement to get rid of GMO/GE food. You will read a lot of criticism. There is money, power and greed behind those opposed to the ideas in this article. Remember, the American Academy of Environmental and Occupational Medicine has urged physicians to have their patients avoid GMO/GE foods since 2009. Even in 2009, they recognized that people consuming GMO/GE foods will develop diseases caused by the food. Now we are seeing how right they were.